Ten Uplifting Books to Read While You Are Social Distancing
Throughout my life, books have always been my escape. No matter what has been going on personally, a book has always been able to transport me to a different world, a different life, and away from whatever woes were occurring in my own sphere.
This moment is filled with extreme uncertainty and so many unknowns. As a mother, daughter, wife, and friend, I am trying to stay calm but what frightens me the most is the unknown. Not knowing how long this will last and being told that this will be our normal for the near future and possibly beyond is terrifying. I woke up this morning and frantically thought I had missed my alarm, but then realized there was nothing to get up for. This is an adjustment for all of us, but we will get through it.
What is getting me through these days? Morning coffee, a bit of exercise, having all my people together under one roof, and most importantly, taking at least one hour a day to read. Some days are better than others. Some days I have hours and some days I have 30 minutes but anything is better than nothing. Reading is my sanity.
I know that we are all encouraging our children to keep up with their reading during this time, but I think it's very important for us to take some time for ourselves to escape the realities of what we are living through right now. These are some of my all-time favorite uplifting books because we can all use a little boost right now. Some are years old, and some more recent. These are in no particular order, it was too hard to number them because I love them all. I hope that you enjoy them as much as I did. In fact, I may have to go back and re-read them.
I am going to try to do these lists every so often during this time and I will continue to do my weekly reviews. In the meantime, be good to yourself. We can't get to the spa right now, but we can get anywhere we want to go with a book.
1. The Magician's Assistant - by Ann Patchett (One of my of all-time favorite stories)
Published in 1998
2. Bossypants - by Tina Fey (A laugh-out-loud pee and in your pants memoir)
Published April 5, 2011
3. The Storied Life of A.J. Fickery - by Gabrielle Zevin (Humor, romance and a touch of suspense)
Published April 1, 2014
4. The Keeper of Lost Things - by Ruth Hogan (Beautiful story of love, loss, and friendship)
Published February 21, 2017
5. This is Where I Leave You - by Jonathan Tropper (Dysfunctional family drama that is magnificently funny)
Published: August 6, 2009
6. Eligible - by Cutis Sittenfeld (A modern-day Pride and Prejudice)
April 19, 2016
7. The Inn At Lake Divine - by Elinor Lipman (A delightful romantic comedy)
Published: April 27, 1999
8. Glitter and Glue - by Kelly Corrigan (A wonderful book about mothers and daughters)
Published February 4, 2014
9. Me, You, Everything - by Catherine Isaac (A beautiful love story)
Published: June 25, 2019
10. Tender At the Bone: Growing Up at the Table - by Ruth Reichl (For all of you foodies out there)
Published: March 2, 1999